We want to care for the orphans through the entire range of prevention, fostering, adoption, and transitioning to a new life. There are hundreds of ways for you to get involved with orphan care, but here are some ideas to get started:
- Tutor children in foster care so they can be on track with their education.
- Help foster parents with childcare so they can have a break occasionally.
- Provide financial support for a family who would love to adopt.
- Be a mentor for a foster child transitioning out of the system.
- Pray regularly for a child, a foster family, an adoptive family, or a caseworker.
- Donate your skills such as makeup or hairdressing for special events like prom or homecoming for foster kids.
- If you own a business, consider hiring young adults who are aging out of the foster system.
- Sponsor a foster child to attend activities or camps they couldn’t otherwise afford.
- Pray about becoming a foster or adoptive parent yourself.
The following upcoming events offer an opportunity to serve through One Heart:
- July 29: Babysitter training at Southcrest. Foster parents are only allowed to leave their children with licensed sitters. This means many foster parents NEVER get a night off. Please help them out by attending this training so you can become a licensed sitter. The training will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- August 4: Because foster parents so rarely get a night out, Southcrest is going to partner with churches across Lubbock to offer a Foster Parent Night Out. We need Southcrest members to volunteer to watch the kids from 6-9 p.m. on August 4. There will be no more than 10 kids per room, and each room needs 2 workers. Grab a friend or a spouse and volunteer to hang out with these amazing kiddos. Contact the Southcrest office to get your background check done.
- Monthly: We are looking for 10 Life Groups to volunteer to “adopt” a foster family. Someone from your life group would check in with the family once per month to show them they are loved and appreciated. Ways to check in might be phone calls, cards of encouragement, a meal, or a night where you watch their kids so they can have a date. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, but it would be a big help to these families.
Ready to ActNow and sign up to serve?
Click here to complete our interest form and our liaison will contact you!
Crystal Burdis ~ 806-206-5870